Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Well-Read Commuter Reviews: Private



By James Patterson



You could say that former Marine and Afghanistan War Hero Jack Morgan has a lot on his plate. At the helm of one of the world’s most elite investigative firms, Private, his team is tasked with helping the LAPD find a serial killer stalking high school girls. He is also juggling an office romance that is on the rocks, a multi-million dollar NFL betting scandal, an evil twin brother and his best friend is a murder suspect.


That sets the scene for the latest James Patterson novel. This was one of my first James Patterson novels and it surely won’t be my last. The book was excellent and Patterson certainly must deserve his following. There was a complex storyline which can be tricky when listening to it as an audiobook while driving. However, the story was developed in a way that held your attention and the multitude of characters were richly developed and interesting. There were several places where Patterson could have turned to cliché cheap thrills, but that never happened. It was a nail bitter and I found myself more than once backing the audio up if I was interrupted because I didn’t want to miss a single minute. I haven’t been this sad to see a piece of fiction end since last summer’s The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly. This book is six CDs and was just the right length for a good summer driving book. It was excellent and I was sad to see a couple of reviews trashing it. I don’t read a lot of fiction so something has to be just right to work for me and this was great.  The audiobook is excellently narrated. 



http://www.jamespatterson.com/books_private.php

No comments: